Information for au pairs from the EU

March 18, 2019 Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Au Pair Guide,Legal information

Are you a citizen of an EU or EFTA country? Have you already done the Quick Check? More information on formalities for Ireland can be found on this page. Simply follow our step-by-step guide.

What steps an Au Pair from the EU should follow to work in Ireland?

Step 1: Check the validity of your passport

Make sure that you hold a valid passport or identity card before you plan your trip. You do not need an entry visa for Ireland.

Step 2: Apply for a PPS Number (Personal Public Service Number)

EU nationals do not need to register with the local immigration office and they do not need a residence card to live in Ireland.

However, we strongly advise you to apply for a PPS Number. It will help you access the public health services in Ireland, for instance. Please note that you must already be living in Ireland in order to apply for a PPS Number.

How Au Pairs in Ireland can apply for a PPS Number?

When applying for a PPS Number, you will need to provide the following documents:

  • Your passport or national identity card
  • Evidence of your address. Please ask your host family to write a short letter confirming that you are presently living with them. You may also attach a household bill (telephone, gas, etc.) in your host family’s name.

The Department of Social Protection will issue a PPS Number for you, please contact the Social Welfare Local Office for more detailed information.

Should you have any further questions, please see the Citizens Information page for the Personal Public Service Number.