Information for au pairs from non-EU countries

March 18, 2019 Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Au Pair Guide,Legal information

Are you an EU or EFTA citizen? In this case, different regulations apply. Please click here.

I would like to work as an Au pair in Ireland but I am from a non-EU country, what should I do?

Au pairs from non-EU countries need a visa to be able to enter Ireland.

Upon your arrival in Ireland, you will need to register with the local authorities. Please check this page to learn more about the local registration with the Garda and application for a PPS Number.

Working Holiday Maker programme in Ireland

Citizens of Argentina, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea and Taiwan may apply for a Working Holiday visa. Please note that the number of visas is limited and that there are certain periods in which you must apply. Furthermore, applicants must have sufficient funds to support themselves; at least during the initial part of their stay in Ireland.
Please follow this link to read more about the Working Holiday Maker programme in Ireland.

Work & Travel programme in Ireland

US citizens can enter Ireland on a Work & Travel visa. Please note that, in order to qualify for the programme, participants should either be in post-secondary education or have recently graduated (i.e. within the last 12 months). In addition, they will need to present an original bank statement showing that they have access to 1,500 € (or equivalent) plus a return ticket or 3,000 € (or equivalent). Please check the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs to find out more about the Work & Travel programme in Ireland.

Student visa

Students from outside the EU / EFTA who attend a recognised full time study course of at least one full academic year may work up to 20 hours per week during term time and up to 40 hours per week during the academic summer and winter holidays. However, please note that most host families wish their au pairs to work 30 hours per week.

Please clarify with your host family in advance how many hours per week you are expected to work and what your individual work schedule will look like. A full time study course may make it difficult for you to coordinate your working hours with your course schedule. Keep in mind that the immigration officials at the point of entry always have the right to refuse entry should they believe that the student is in truth intending to work full-time.

For any further questions concerning the student visa for Ireland, kindly turn to the Irish authorities.